Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Book of Mormon -- Another Testament of Jesus Christ


The Book of Mormon -- Another Testament of Jesus Christ is exactly what it professes to be in the title, that is a testament of Christ. The Book of Mormon prophet Nephi said, "We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophesies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (2 Nephi 25:26). That's the purpose of the Book of Mormon, to convince us that JESUS is the CHRIST. I know He is.
The Book of Mormon was translated by the power and gift of God through Joseph Smith, whom God called to be a prophet in our day. First published in 1830, it has spread throughout the world, bringing millions to a knowledge of their Redeemer and closer to Him.
The Book of Mormon contains a fullness of the Gospel. It teaches us exactly what we need to do to return to live with our Heavenly Father. It teaches the importance of faith, repentance, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. It teaches us that "it is by grace we are saved, after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23).
I love the Book of Mormon. It brings me closer to God each time I read it. As I read, I find answers to questions that are pressing on my mind. I have found peace in some of my hardest times as I have read the Book of Mormon. It answers questions of our souls, like "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good, righteous people?" That's a tough question, and one I have asked many, many times. In the Book of Mormon there are many times when bad things happen to good people and the Lord tells us why through his servants. For example, the prophet Samuel says, "Yea, the people of Nephi hath [the Lord] loved, and also hath he chastened them; yea...he chastened them because he loved them" (Helaman 15:3). Trials show the Lord's love for us. They show that He have faith that we can overcome them. Think about the story of Job. The Lord knew Job would prove faithful. That's one of the reasons bad things happen. There are many more, and you can find answers to this and other questions as you read the Book of Mormon.
God lives. The Book of Mormon witnesses of the reality of the Savior Jesus Christ. You can come nearer to God as you read it. I promise that because I know it for myself. You can too. To receive a free copy, visit mormon.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment